To file application for refund on account of excess payment of tax on the GST Portal, perform following steps:
1. Access the https://www.gst.gov.in/ URL. The GST Home page is displayed.
2. Click the Services > Refunds > Application for Refund command.
3. The Select the refund type page is displayed. Select the Excess payment of tax option.
4. Select the Financial Year for which application has to be filed from the drop-down list.
5. Select the Month for which application has to be filed from the drop-down list.
6. Click the CREATE button.
Note: You should have filed all the required returns till date to file refund application.
7. The GST RFD-01- Excess payment of tax page is displayed.
Note: Based on the tax period selected, ARN of Form GSTR-3B/ 4/ 5, along with other details, gets auto-populated from database in the refund application form, using which taxpayer can claim refund.
8. Enter the tax amount paid in excess which needs to be claimed in the “Details of excess payment of tax” Table.
- The refund amount claimed cannot be more than the amount of tax paid from the respective return against which refund is filed.
- Refund can be claimed for the amount of Rs.1000 or more.
9. You can click the hyperlink Click to view Electronic Liability Ledger to view details of Electronic Liability Ledger that displays your liabilities/ dues of Returns and other than Returns.
10. Click the GO BACK TO REFUND FORM to return to the refund application page.
11. Select the Bank Account Number from the drop-down list.
12. Under section Upload Supporting Documents, you can upload supporting documents (if any).
- Taxpayers have an option to upload 10 documents with the refund application, of size up to 5 MB each. Therefore, any supporting document can be uploaded by the taxpayer, if required.
- In case, the refund amount claimed is more than 2 lacs, then the taxpayer needs to mandatorily upload Certificate from CA/ICWA in Annexure 2 to the refund application. In case, refund claimed amount is less than 2 lacs, then the certificate is not required, taxpayer needs to provide self-declaration only.
13. Click the ADD DOCUMENT button.
14. Click the Delete button, in case you want to delete any document.
15. Click the SAVE button.
Note: To view your saved application, navigate to Services > Refunds > My Saved/Filed Application command. Application can be saved at any stage of completion for a maximum time period of 15 days from the date of creation of refund application. If the same is not filed within 15 days, the saved draft will be purged from the GST database.
16. Click the PREVIEW button to download the form in PDF format.
17. Form is downloaded in the PDF format.
18. Select the Undertaking and Self-Declaration checkbox.
19. Click the PROCEED button.
20. Select the Declaration checkbox.
21. In the Name of Authorized Signatory drop-down list, select the name of authorized signatory.
22. Click the FILE WITH DSC or FILE WITH EVC button.
In Case of DSC:
a. Click the PROCEED button.
b. Select the certificate and click the SIGN button.
In Case of EVC:
a. Enter the OTP sent to email and mobile number of the Authorized Signatory registered at the GST Portal and click the VERIFY button.
2. The success message is displayed and status is changed to Submitted. Application Reference Number (ARN) receipt is downloaded and ARN is sent on your e-mail address and mobile phone number. Click the PDF to open the receipt.
- The system generates an ARN and displays it in a confirmation message, indicating that the refund application has been successfully filed.
- GST Portal sends the ARN to registered e-mail ID and mobile number of the registered taxpayer.
- Filed applications (ARNs) can be downloaded as PDF documents using the My Applications option under Services.
- Filed applications can be tracked using the Track Application Status option under Refunds.
- Once the ARN is generated on filing of form RFD-01, refund application shall be assigned to Jurisdictional Refund Processing Officers for processing. The application will be processed and refund status shall be updated.
- The disbursement is made once the concerned Tax Official processes the refund application.
25. ARN receipt is displayed.