New facility to verify document Reference Number (RFN) mentioned on offline communications issued by State GST authorities
- The GST portal (“System”) generates various documents, such as notices/ orders, etc which are communicated to the taxpayer. Most such documents have a system-generated unique identifier DIN (Document Identification Number)/ RFN (Reference Number). These documents, by virtue of being generated by the System, are already traceable in the portal, mostly on the taxpayer’s dashboard. Still, a facility for taxpayers to verify such documents through such auto-generated RFN is under development and will be provided shortly.
- In addition, in order to enable the taxpayers to ascertain that an offline communication (i.e. one which is not system-generated) was indeed sent by the State GST tax officer or not, a new facility for Reference Number (RFN) generation by State tax officer and verification by taxpayer has been provided. Under this feature, the State Tax office can generate a RFN for the physically generated correspondence sent to the taxpayer, which can be validated by the taxpayer (both pre-login and post-login). The facility to verify RFN of System-generated documents, once deployed, shall also be available in a seamless manner using the same link.
- To verify a Reference Number mentioned on the offline communications sent by State GST officers that are being sent to you, navigate to Services > User Services > Verify RFN option and provide the RFN to be verified.
- In case the RFN is of an offline communication generated by the State GST officer, the details with the valid RFN will be displayed. The limited details will be provided pre-login also for verification, while greater details will be provided when the taxpayer logs in and verifies RFN mentioned on an offline communication issued to him/ her.
- This facility is for offline correspondence issued by State GST authorities. For documents issued by Central GST officers, CBIC DIN facility may be used.